30 October, 2010

"Story of My Life"


This has to be one of my favorite songs of all time. Actually, I take that back-- It doesn't have to be, it is. It's a song about looking back at life and it is this perfect mix of meloncholy and happiness. The past isn't this great bastion that we need to escape back to and it isn't this craphole that we're all lucky to escape from. The past is just this imperfect piece of ourselves and its as relevant as anything else. In general that sums up my feelings on life.

I think I bought this album during my senior year of high school. Social Distortion's self titled album, along with Johnny Cash's Live at Folsom Prison and When the Man Comes Around pretty much defined that period of my life. I had no idea what I wanted to do or really who I was (and not really in an abstract way, either, but that's another entry for another time). I had obviously heard the song dozens of times on KROQ over the years, but buying the album brought the songs a bit closer to me. I could go on and on about it (quite easily, in fact), but all of that is just going to get in the way of me wanting to express my affection for this song (and that album).

It's a great piece of art and even if it didn't strike a chord with my personally, it's a fun piece of rock n' roll, which is more than most pop music can ever claim.