16 December, 2010

Married J. Kislingbury Angling for a Threesome Circa 1932


There's a select few moments in my life where there's a measurable, memorable change. The day I saw The Thin Man was one of those.

The Thin Man, for the record, is what just about every so-called screwball comedy after 1965 is trying to emulate. There's a number of other important, hilarious screwball comedies that are equally important, but for me, The Thin Man is the most important because it was the first that I ever saw.

My sister currently has my copy of this movie (and she has yet to watch it), but don't follow her example. Go and hunt down this movie. You'll be glad that you did. It mixes all of the most important aspects of 1930's cinema-- alcoholism, monastic sexuality, witty banter, and a nonchalant reaction to everything threatening on this planet.

It's wonderful. Myrna Loy and William Powell are a wonder to behold and there's a reason they're names pop up every so often in references to the 30's.

(via Film Noir Photos.)