21 March, 2012

Fuckin' A

I was reading this interview on Vice and Daragh Hughes, the object of the piece, said something about art that I've felt for a while in a way far better than I have been able to--

I take it contemporary art isn’t your cup of tea, then?
The focus on concept above aesthetics has produced some shockingly ugly work. It seems that it doesn't matter how you paint, so long as there is a clever concept propping it up. The problem is that, because these people can't paint, their concept is rarely evident in their paintings, so you get referred to an accompanying written statement. To my mind, if I can’t get the meaning directly from the image itself, it’s not good visual art. I think contemporary art generally tends toward the trivial, banal, and esoteric. This is presumably an effect of the postmodern refusal to take life seriously.


Ah, yes. Now that's some good theorizin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment