03 April, 2019

Let's All Talk About the Big Movie Thing Part 3,568,432!


That looks like it might be pretty okay? It might even be good?

I have some hopes for this movie-- tepid hopes, tempered by the stark reality that DC seems terminally incapable of making a film that is even mildly worth a damn. I love Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Haynes Soldonz Phillips is actually an inspired choice considering that almost all of his movies are about demi-criminal dirtbags looking for a laugh-- except this time he's not trying to fool us into thinking they're actually funny.

I was going to go on to say something more about the flak that this movie has been catching online and what a big, obvious target it is, but then I remember that I was 19 once and I'm a fucking media studies major. I get it. It's an almost stastical certainty that this movie is going to suck shit and it's a good opportunity for two-thousand people to simultaneously make the comment "Why would I want to watch this when I could watch Taxi Driver/Punch Drunk Love/The King of Comedy?" (as though Scorsese and Anderson don't wear their influences on their sleeves-- also, if you're going to make the that comparison, at least have the decency to bring up You Were Never Really Here, a criminally underrated Taxi Driver-inflected film staring Phoenix from 2018-- so, come on, get it together, snobs.)

And here I am bitching about people bitching, which is kind of what I was hoping to avoid. But I've have a beer in me and I'm not a very good writer, so here we are. Fuck it.

Life is too fucking short. I hope this movie is good. Not because it would be good to see DC get a win or for there to be another "smart" blockbuster movie or to see somebody do a cover-song version of Scorcese, but because a good movie, of any variety, of any caliber is a cool thing. It's good, and it is much more interesting to dissect a good movie than a bad one.

So, while we're all popping off, throwing our scalding takes out into the ether, here's my question: What if they actually get away with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment